3 Schaumburg police officers arrested on drug charges
January 16, 2013 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) (WLS) -- Three Schaumburg police officers were arrested by federal agents Wednesday on drug charges.
A team of federal drug agents assembled from across the country executed 20 search warrants Wednesday in Schaumburg and three police officers from the suburb were taken into custody, law enforcement sources say.
The Schaumburg policemen were all assigned to the narcotics unit and were under investigation for selling drugs.
They had a wide range of experience on the job, ranging from five to 23 years with the department.
But rather than getting drugs and dealers off the street, the officers were allegedly doing their own dealing.
Village officials declined to talk about the arrests on camera but they acknowledged the investigation in a statement.
"The Village of Schaumburg this evening placed three Schaumburg police officers on administrative leave pending the outcome of a criminal investigation being carried out by the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office," officials said in the statement.
The department has also launched its own internal investigation, according to the statement.
The officers are due in court Thursday.
local, john garcia
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 26 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
24 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
26 min ago