Celebration for landing of Dreamliner plane at O'Hare canceled
January 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Federal Aviation Administration grounded Boeing's new Dreamliner 787 plane due to safety concerns Wednesday.
Chicago's O'Hare International Airport felt the impact of the decision.
For LOT Polish Airlines, Wednesday evening was supposed to be the Boeing Dreamliners' coming out party at O'Hare.
"The event tonight has been cancelled," LOT's Frank Joost said. "We would not feel it's appropriate."
Today, an ANA flight made an emergency landing in Japan when someone smelled smoke in the aircraft.
Last week, a Japan Air flight made an emergency landing in Boston.
The FAA grounded U.S. Dreamliner flights saying it was necessary to study the "battery fire risk and said that flights wouldn't resume until the "batteries are safe and in compliance."
"Unfortunately, this is no longer just a few glitches. This is a pattern that people are concerned about," DePaul University Transportation Professor Joe Schwieterman said.
For Polish dignitaries invited to the O'Hare party, it was a letdown.
"It would have been nice to see the plane," the Vice President of the National Polish Alliance Paul Odrobina said.
"This year was the 40th anniversary of the first flights between Warsaw and Chicago," the Director of Polish Museum of America Jan Lorys said. "I'm disappointed but I guess I understand."
LOT Polish Airlines' Dreamliner arrived in Chicago from Warsaw Wednesday.
"The flight was smooth and perfect. The plane flies great," passenger Konrad Biedron said. "The whole flight was awesome. I'm really surprised."
Wednesday night's return flight to Warsaw was cancelled.
"This is the only flight we have scheduled, so yes, we are not flying the plane at this point," Joost said.
"I'm glad they actually made it because safety always comes first," a passenger on the canceled flight Kamil Styla said.
boeing 787 dreamliner, local, stacey baca
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates