Person questioned in sex assault of teen in Englewood
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police are questioning a suspect in the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl Wednesday.
The attack happened in the 6300-block of South Paulina Avenue, according to authorities.
The girl was walking down the block around 10:15 a.m. when an unknown offender approached her, pulled her into a gangway and sexually assaulted her at gunpoint, police said.
The offender took her cell phone, iPod and fled the scene, officials said. The girl was in stable condition at Comer Children's Hospital.
The block where she was assaulted is lined with boarded-up, abandoned buildings. Neighborhood resident William Wallace said he believes these buildings attract crime to the area.
"Vacant lots, vacant buildings. That's a problem in this neighborhood. They need to have somebody living there or tear it down," he said.
His sister Cynthia Wallace said she saw the young victim running out of the alley. The girl ran up to her crying and asked if she could walk with her. The girl ran foward and was then taken to the hospital, according to Cynthia Wallace.
The suspect is described as a black male, 16-18 years old, 5'5" to 5'8", 140-160 pounds with short hair and a light complexion, police said.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 45 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 3 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
16 min ago
- Let's Dish: Colcannon
2 min ago