Warning about the dangers of metal hip implants
January 17, 2013 (WLS) -- All metal hip implants have become a major cause of concern following several safety issues, user complaints and even recalls.
The federal government warned consumers Thursday that the metal on the implants can cause soft tissue damage, pain and in the long run, lead to further surgery to replace the implant.
The FDA said all metal implants can shed metal where two components connect.
That metal will cause wear and tear of the implant and can damage bone and soft tissue that's surrounding the implant.
Officials advise consumers to talk to your doctor about the risks and possible alternatives.
- CPS school closures begin
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals 37 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Officials recover body from Lake Michigan near Oakwood
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- 7 in :77
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos