Warning about the dangers of metal hip implants
January 17, 2013 (WLS) -- All metal hip implants have become a major cause of concern following several safety issues, user complaints and even recalls.
The federal government warned consumers Thursday that the metal on the implants can cause soft tissue damage, pain and in the long run, lead to further surgery to replace the implant.
The FDA said all metal implants can shed metal where two components connect.
That metal will cause wear and tear of the implant and can damage bone and soft tissue that's surrounding the implant.
Officials advise consumers to talk to your doctor about the risks and possible alternatives.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand