Boxing initiative hopes to get Chicago kids inside police gyms
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Illinois State Crime Commission will offer a new boxing initiative for Chicago children thanks in part to the daughter of Muhammad Ali.
Rasheda Ali also heads The Police Athletic League of Illinois. She says the joint effort between her organization and the crime commission will give kids a chance to apply themselves in the ring at police gyms around the city as a way to steer clear of potential violence on the street. </p
"If I can save at least one child from being gunned down in front of their houses - then the work we're doing here today will be worth it," Rasheda Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, said.
Rasheda Ali also wished her father a happy birthday. The champ turns 71 today.
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old