Teen charged in sex assault of girl, 16, in Englewood
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 15-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl near 63rd and Paulina, according to Chicago police.
The boy was charged with aggravated criminal sex assault and armed robbery with a firearm in connection with the assault, according to Chicago Police News Affairs.
The attack happened in the 6300-block of South Paulina Avenue, according to authorities.
The girl was walking down the block around 10:15 a.m. when an unknown offender approached her, pulled her into a gangway and sexually assaulted her at gunpoint, police said.
The offender took her cell phone, iPod and fled the scene, officials said. The girl was in stable condition at Comer Children's Hospital.
The block where she was assaulted is lined with boarded-up, abandoned buildings. Neighborhood resident William Wallace said he believes these buildings attract crime to the area.
"Vacant lots, vacant buildings. That's a problem in this neighborhood. They need to have somebody living there or tear it down," he said.
His sister Cynthia Wallace said she saw the young victim running out of the alley. The girl ran up to her crying and asked if she could walk with her. The girl ran foward and was then taken to the hospital, according to Cynthia Wallace.
The alleged offender is expected to appear in court Friday.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 30 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 10 min ago
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting 5 min ago
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash 9 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
30 min ago