Call for action against CPS school closings
January 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Parents, students and teachers are uniting in a call for action to save dozens of neighborhood schools from closing.
Nearly 200 schools are on the Chicago Public School list to possibly be closed.
Volunteers gathered at seven schools around the city to create a strategy showing their commitment to keeping them open.
High schools, Level 1 elementary schools and some other schools that are still growing are expected to be safe.
CPS says it will release its official list of schools that need defending next month.
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area