Call for action against CPS school closings
January 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Parents, students and teachers are uniting in a call for action to save dozens of neighborhood schools from closing.
Nearly 200 schools are on the Chicago Public School list to possibly be closed.
Volunteers gathered at seven schools around the city to create a strategy showing their commitment to keeping them open.
High schools, Level 1 elementary schools and some other schools that are still growing are expected to be safe.
CPS says it will release its official list of schools that need defending next month.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 24 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 26 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All