Building collapses into pile of rubble on South Side
January 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago fire officials are investigating whether that wind may have played a role in a building collapse on the city's South Side.
Much of the area was dealing with very gusty winds overnight.
Firefighters say they got a call a little after 11 p.m. Saturday night and arrived in the 6300-block of South Evans to find a home in a big pile of rubble.
The two-story house had collapsed to the north onto a neighboring lot that was empty.
According to fire officials, there were signs that the house was being renovated. Even though it was vacant, special equipment was brought in to make sure no one was underneath the rubble.
No one was hurt.
It was not clear Sunday if the high winds caused the home to come down.
"Anytime we get heavy winds like this, particularly sustained winds in the upper 20 and 30s with gusts in the 40 to 50s, anything that is not secured become objects, flying objects, has the ability to topple over," said John McNicholas, deputy fire commissioner, Chicago Fire Department. "There is always a concern when the weather and the winds pick up."
The fire department says it will work with the building department to figure out what caused the house to collapse.
local, diane pathieu
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 42 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 29 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- Kids recite world leaders' speeches for contest 4 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday
- Santa hands out coats to kids at Englewood police station 18 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
29 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos