Building collapses into pile of rubble on South Side
January 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago fire officials are investigating whether that wind may have played a role in a building collapse on the city's South Side.
Much of the area was dealing with very gusty winds overnight.
Firefighters say they got a call a little after 11 p.m. Saturday night and arrived in the 6300-block of South Evans to find a home in a big pile of rubble.
The two-story house had collapsed to the north onto a neighboring lot that was empty.
According to fire officials, there were signs that the house was being renovated. Even though it was vacant, special equipment was brought in to make sure no one was underneath the rubble.
No one was hurt.
It was not clear Sunday if the high winds caused the home to come down.
"Anytime we get heavy winds like this, particularly sustained winds in the upper 20 and 30s with gusts in the 40 to 50s, anything that is not secured become objects, flying objects, has the ability to topple over," said John McNicholas, deputy fire commissioner, Chicago Fire Department. "There is always a concern when the weather and the winds pick up."
The fire department says it will work with the building department to figure out what caused the house to collapse.
local, diane pathieu
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Schaumburg couple injured in Oklahoma tornado
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- Kirk, Durbin supporting Pritzker as commerce secretary
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote 56 min ago
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
51 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois schools lack tornado 'safe...
48 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos