Immigration activists march in Chicago, call for immediate action
January 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- About 200 immigration activists rallied in downtown Chicago on Monday as President Barack Obama was sworn in for his second term.
Obama said immigration reform remains an issue that needs attention. The group that marched from the Daley Plaza to Federal Plaza agrees. They protested policies in the Obama administration that have led to a record number of deportations. The group wants a moratorium on deportations, which numbered 410,000 as of October 2012.
"We are here to request that he stop deportations and we deserve respect," Elsie Feliciano, immigration activist, said.
Undocumented immigrant Tania Unzuete said she feels immigration reform should be the president's top priority.
"He said that there needed to be faith in America and that we need to work for justice in the community and that's exactly what I'm doing," Unzuete said.
President Obama was re-elected with 71 percent of the Hispanic vote. ABC7 political analyst Laura Washington says there are several issues on the table for the president's second term: gun control, gay rights and climate change. She said his best chance to make progress is with immigration reform.
"He's got a mandate and that vote also sent a message to republicans. They need to come to the table on immigration reform. The time is right and there's a real opportunity here," Washington said.
Washington also says fiscal reform will trump all the other issues and will be a top priority for the president.
local, karen jordan
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 3 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 38 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 4 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 48 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
38 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos