Body of missing Grayslake man, 20, ID'd
January 22, 2013 (ROUND LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police have positively identified the body of a missing 20-year-old Grayslake man found in Round Lake Park Tuesday.
Joseph "Joey" Frase went missing around 1:15 a.m. Sunday. Police responded to a wooded area near Campbell Airport Tuesday morning.
Friends say they arrived at a house party early Sunday morning in the 300 block of West Highplains.
Frase and his friends rode in a cab to the local party, but they said he never even made it inside and instead took off on foot.
Frase's best friend Kamaron Jassor was with him last as their group left a local bar early sunday morning to head to the party.
"I didn't see him for 10-15 mins so I went outside looking for him and he wasn't there and I blew up his phone. He called me back, he thought he was at Washington and Lake. But he was found at Campbell Airport," said Jassor.
Frase told Jassor he was lost and very cold. Cell phone records show Frase apparently made the call shortly after he was last seen.
Frase's friends say they didn't get much help from police, so they gathered volunteers to search. Friends, family and even strangers bundled up to help with the search in frigid temperatures.
One person looked through a wooded area less than a mile from where the party was, and found the young man's body.
Frase's family and police raced to the scene and got the sad confirmation.
"We pulled up when the ambulance had arrived they had found him at that point," said Rob Winfrey, uncle.
Frase was wearing just jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie. His friends knew the longer he was gone, the worse it would be.
Friends say they believe Frase fell and hit his head. They think he may suffered from a concussion and hypothermia.
Meanwhile, the family is planning funeral arrangements and say he was loved by many.
"He was a great kid. It's mind numbing to think that this could happen," said Winfrey.
"Joey was a great friend, never soft spoken. Never had anything bad to say, always out to have a good time. Just a great guy," said Tyler Hansen, friend.
local, diane pathieu
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 40 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 37 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout