Businesses, fans thrilled to welcome Blackhawks back to United Center
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Blackhawks' long-awaited home opener is a blessing for players, fans and many business owners.
The NHL season is a little over three months late because of a dispute between owners and players.
But it's better late than never for many Chicagoans.
A Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. is not normally a busy time at the Palace Grill near United Center.
It's a clear sign that hockey is back and so are the fans on the West Side.
It is a huge relief for Palace Grill owner George Lemparis.
Lemparis, a huge hockey fan, said business was down more than 20-percent during the lockout.
It was a long couple of months without hockey but the wait is already history for some fans.
The Blackhawks are off to a hot start, winning their first two games on the road.
Their fans are ready to welcome them home to the United Center.
Of course, they are looking ahead and hoping for a long postseason playoff run.
Business owners like Sam Sianis of the Billy Goat are grateful for any hockey at all.
The souvenir and novelty business suffered without action on the ice.
There will be a collective sigh of relief on the West Side when the Blackhawks take the ice again at United Center.
local, john garcia
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 16 min ago
- Girl, about 3, found dead in Riverdale woods 13 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos