Homeless count underway in Chicago
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The homeless count started in Chicago Tuesday.
Hundreds of volunteers are involved in the effort that's conducted every two years.
Organizers said this is one of the best times to get an accurate count of the homeless because the cold attracts many to the city's shelters.
They also count people outside.
The final numbers help determine federal funding for the city's programs to help the homeless.
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Maywood honors man who found missing toddler's body
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Kellie Pickler wins 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area