Homeless count completed in Chicago
January 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hundreds of volunteers wrapped up the effort to count the city's homeless population Wednesday morning.
Many homeless people are staying at shelters during the bitter cold.
The Chicago Department of Family and Support Services along with 200-plus volunteers hit the streets Tuesday night to find out how many homeless people are in Chicago.
The numbers help determine the federal funding the city gets for services. The survey was last done two years ago and showed 5,000 homeless people in the city.
Officials say there is a reason why it is done during the brutal deep freeze.
"It's easier to count individuals in a shelter. Everyone can be easily counted. There are lots of individuals on the street, but HUD mandates we do it on the last ten days of January so that you can compare our data to the other continuums around the country doing it at the same time. In other words, our data is comparable to that in Boston, New York and warmer climates like L.A. and Miami," said Adriana Camarda, homeless count organizer.
The numbers are not expected to be released for awhile, but the city said it is a reminder to everybody to bundle up in these cold conditions.
local, jason knowles
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 21 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 22 min ago
- Bank robbery suspect tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 12 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Bubonic plague claims 32 lives in Madagascar 21 min ago
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
21 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
22 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos