Father delivers baby in traffic jam
January 23, 2013 (CICERO, Ill.) (WLS) -- Hector Morales was in a hurry to get to the hospital. A traffic jam held him up - but not his baby boy.
Morales and his fiancee, Kathryn Engel, were headed to West Suburban Hospital when they hit a traffic jam near Roosevelt and Laramie, the scene of a fatal car crash. Engel's labor progressed quickly.
"Katie was having strong contractions. . . [She] said, 'I'm not going to make it. Pull over right here,'" Morales said.
Morales pulled over at a gas station, and with the help of a 911 dispatcher, delivered his son.
"I kept him on the line to kind of get his information and update the paramedics as they were en route. And I told him, 'You know what, I have officers at Laramie and Roosevelt--just go straight there,'" Macario Rodriguez, Cicero 911 dispatcher, said.
Aidan was born in just minutes.
"I was impressed with how well composed he was. He did a fine job," Larry Polk, Cicero police, said.
Engel and her son were transported to the hospital, where both are doing fine.
Aidan was born around 8 a.m.; the car crash and fire was reported at 5:45 a.m.
"It saddened us to just find out of the terrible accident that took place hours before, our condolences to the families," Morales said.
A 19-year-old woman died and two people were injured in that crash. They remain hospitalized.
- Dad says body in lake likely missing UofC student 50 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 54 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 58 min ago
- Special session expected to form pension committee
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- IDOT proposes tolls for Illiana Expressway
- AMA recognizes obesity as a disease
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
58 min ago
- Lunch Break
12 min ago
- Dad says body in lake likely missing UofC...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos