Father delivers baby in traffic jam
January 23, 2013 (CICERO, Ill.) (WLS) -- Hector Morales was in a hurry to get to the hospital. A traffic jam held him up - but not his baby boy.
Morales and his fiancee, Kathryn Engel, were headed to West Suburban Hospital when they hit a traffic jam near Roosevelt and Laramie, the scene of a fatal car crash. Engel's labor progressed quickly.
"Katie was having strong contractions. . . [She] said, 'I'm not going to make it. Pull over right here,'" Morales said.
Morales pulled over at a gas station, and with the help of a 911 dispatcher, delivered his son.
"I kept him on the line to kind of get his information and update the paramedics as they were en route. And I told him, 'You know what, I have officers at Laramie and Roosevelt--just go straight there,'" Macario Rodriguez, Cicero 911 dispatcher, said.
Aidan was born in just minutes.
"I was impressed with how well composed he was. He did a fine job," Larry Polk, Cicero police, said.
Engel and her son were transported to the hospital, where both are doing fine.
Aidan was born around 8 a.m.; the car crash and fire was reported at 5:45 a.m.
"It saddened us to just find out of the terrible accident that took place hours before, our condolences to the families," Morales said.
A 19-year-old woman died and two people were injured in that crash. They remain hospitalized.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle 23 min ago
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
23 min ago
- Buy Local: Geneva
36 min ago