Ice rescue training exercise takes over Wilmette Harbor
January 23, 2013 (WILMETTE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Being stuck in the ice cold water in Lake Michigan would be a nightmare for anybody.
Luckily, in this case, it's just a training exercise.
The U.S. Coast Guard and the Wilmette Fire Department are practicing on the icy waters at the Wilmette Harbor.
They're using a board, a sling and a rope to simulate an ice rescue.
In some cases, they use a giant yellow hook.
It serves as a warning to anyone thinking about venturing onto the ice. Even though we've had negative wind chills and subzero conditions in the last few days, experts say there's no way ever really to tell if the ice is safe and frozen solid.
Especially on unpredictable Lake Michigan.
The Wilmette Fire Chief says they haven't had any ice or water rescues yet this season.
Experts recommend that if you're ice fishing make sure you're bringing a cell phone.
Sometimes a big chunk of ice can actually float away without you knowing it
local, jason knowles
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 4 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing 34 min ago
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp 25 min ago
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery 12 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 25 min ago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Ready For Spring Planting
6 min ago
- Daily Herald: Aspiring Park Ranger
9 min ago
- UCP Seguin 1 year after merger
49 min ago
- Earth Day Family Fun: Dirt dessert recipe
52 min ago