CPS year to start in August for all in 2013
January 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Board of Education has approved the new single, unified calendar for school year 2013-2014 that does away with the district's two-track schedule and gives all students the same start and end dates and days off.
Developed in collaboration with the Chicago Teachers Union, the new, single calendar provides a balance of uninterrupted student learning days and reflects input gathered from parents, students, teachers and principals, Chicago Public Schools said.
CPS says the calendar was developed after input from the CTU and parents.
Some highlights from the survey and focus groups include:
First Day of School: 51 percent of parents and students and 80 percent of teachers preferred a calendar that started sometime in August. All students will now begin school before Labor Day on August 26, 2013. In the past, Track E schools started in early August, while Track R schools began the day after Labor Day.
Three-Day Thanksgiving Holiday: Many responded that they wanted a fall break. The best way to offer a fall break with minimal disruption to student learning was to lengthen the Thanksgiving holiday, accommodating travel plans and allowing more time with family. In SY 13-14, schools will be closed for three days during the week of Thanksgiving starting Wednesday, November 27, 2013.
Removal of Half Days: 62 percent of parents and students and 61 percent of teachers preferred that professional development occur on full days of non-student attendance instead of half days. To make planning easier for work and childcare, there are no scheduled half days for professional development in the SY 13-14 calendar.
The last day of school will be June 10, 2014.
Holidays: Schools will be closed to observe Labor Day, September 2, 2013; Columbus Day, October 14, 2013; Veteran's Day, November 11, 2013; Thanksgiving, November 27-29, 2013; Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 20, 2014; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12, 2014 and Memorial Day, May 26, 2014.
Parent-Teacher Conferences: Formerly known as Report Card Pick-Up, Parent Teacher Conferences will occur on the same day for elementary and high school students and will occur on November 12, 2013 and April 7, 2014. Parent-Teacher Conferences are days of non-student attendance.
Winter Break: December 23, 2013 to January 3, 2014.
Spring Break: Schools will be closed for Spring Break from April 14 to April 18, 2014.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Lawyer: No more appeals for Crundwell 35 min ago
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 33 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout