Mom mourns loss of 4th child to gun violence
January 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A shooting early Saturday morning in Chicago's Lawndale neighborhood claimed the life of one man and wounded another.
The slain victim is the son of a woman who has now lost all of her children to gun violence.
Shirley Chambers, mother of four, grieved again on Saturday.
"Right now, I'm totally lost because Ronnie was my only surviving son," Chambers said.
Ronnie Chambers, 34, died when he was shot as he sat in a parked car in the 1100-block of South Mozart at 2:30 a.m. Another man, 21, was also in the car and was wounded.
"He was trying to change... He would do anything for you. He would give you the shirt off his back," his mother said.
Ronnie was the last of her children to die of gunshots.
In 1995, her 18-year-old son Carlos was shot to death by a fellow student at Jones Metropolitan High School while he walked along State Street in the South Loop.
After that, her 15-year-old daughter Latoya was shot in the head and killed, allegedly at the hands of a 13-year-old boy.
Then, in July of 2000, her son Jerome was gunned down just feet away from where his sister was killed.
Now, the mother of four deceased children is asking questions.
"What did I do wrong? I was there for them. We didn't have everything we wanted but we had what we needed," she said.
Despite her pain, Chambers remains graceful. She says she is not bitter or angry as she struggles to cope with accepting the tragic news.
"They took my only child. I have nobody right now. That's my only baby," she said.
According to officials, the shooter is still on the loose.
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute 16 min ago
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- Late winter snow shuts schools, offices on East Coast
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans