Multi-vehicle crash closes Oakton St. in Park Ridge, Niles near Cumberland
January 29, 2013 (NILES, Ill.) (WLS) -- No one was seriously injured when a school bus struck several vehicles head-on in Park Ridge, officials said.
No one was seriously injured when a school bus struck several vehicles head-on in Park Ridge, officials said.
The driver of the school bus had a medical problem when she lost control of the wheel, and struck as many as five cars, police said. No one was seriously injured, police said, and no students were on board the bus.
Niles police also responded to the crash on Oakton Street near Cumberland. Oakton is closed to all traffic from Greenwood to Oriole while crews clear the wreckage. Drivers are urged to find other routes.
"We just heard a huge boom but then the bus kept going so we didn't really see what happened. We just saw the car like being smashed into the garage. Then actually the engine caught on fire for like two or three minutes. We just had two customers here that rushed over there. They helped the guy out of the car," said Liad Schaom, a witness who works at a nearby business.
local, ben bradley
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend 15 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held 16 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27 9 min ago
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle 46 min ago
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting 32 min ago
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Bitter cold expected to last through the...
15 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open,...
16 min ago
- The Ditka you didn't know
24 min ago