Cops: Teen girl not target of fatal shooting
January 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Authorities say one of two teenagers shot in the 4500-block of South Oakenwald has died.
The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon in the North Kenwood neighborhood on the city's South Side.
15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back. She was transported in critical condition to Comer Children's Hospital, where she later died.
Police said Pendleton, who was a student at King College Prep, was not the intended target. She had reportedly performed with the school's band at President Obama's inauguration recently.
"An altercation started and some innocent people got shot," said community activist Andrew Holmes.
Police say a group of almost a dozen teenagers were under a canopy at a park in order to escape the rain. Another teen jumped the fence, approached the group and opened fire- hitting Pendleton.
A 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg. He is at Mercy Hospital.
The gunman then got into a car and drove away, according to police.
There is no information on a motive, and police are searching for a suspect.
Residents say the park is located in a quiet secluded block where neighbors look out for each other.
"It's innocent kids at the park, and somebody does something like that? It doesnt' make any sense," said Joe Thomas, resident.
local, john garcia
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 21 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 8 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 29 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 47 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 46 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
21 min ago