Cops: Teen girl not target of fatal shooting
January 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Authorities say one of two teenagers shot in the 4500-block of South Oakenwald has died.
The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon in the North Kenwood neighborhood on the city's South Side.
15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back. She was transported in critical condition to Comer Children's Hospital, where she later died.
Police said Pendleton, who was a student at King College Prep, was not the intended target. She had reportedly performed with the school's band at President Obama's inauguration recently.
"An altercation started and some innocent people got shot," said community activist Andrew Holmes.
Police say a group of almost a dozen teenagers were under a canopy at a park in order to escape the rain. Another teen jumped the fence, approached the group and opened fire- hitting Pendleton.
A 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg. He is at Mercy Hospital.
The gunman then got into a car and drove away, according to police.
There is no information on a motive, and police are searching for a suspect.
Residents say the park is located in a quiet secluded block where neighbors look out for each other.
"It's innocent kids at the park, and somebody does something like that? It doesnt' make any sense," said Joe Thomas, resident.
local, john garcia
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 2 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 9 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 37 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 27 min ago
- Obama says 1 million signed up for health care 6 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 27 min ago
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago 14 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
9 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos