Gary police chase ends with 2 killed in crash
January 30, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- A police chase ended with a deadly crash in Gary, Indiana.
It began with a call of a burglary in progress.
The first officer at the scene spotted a gray Dodge Stratus with three people inside. The car took off and the officer followed. Others joined the pursuit.
Police say the chase ended on Monroe Street when the car struck two trees at a high rate of speed.
Two of the three people in the car were killed.
"The initial officer, and then the other officers that came into the area, they activated their emergency equipment, red lights and sirens," said Gary police spokesperson Gabrielle King. "They disregarded all of that."
Police haven't released the names of those killed.The third person was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
57 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos