Habitat for Humanity recruiting families for 16 West Pullman homes
January 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Habitat for Humanity volunteers are building more than a dozen affordable homes in Chicago's West Pullman neighborhood.
Former science teacher Mark Dreessen is one of the many volunteers building the homes at 119th and Union.
"It's a lot like education. You meet people who are thinking about other people not just about themselves," Mark Dreessen, volunteer, said.
The City of Chicago donated the land.
"The goals of this project are to build 16 single family homes. It's part of our overall work in doing neighborhood revitalization in West Pullman.," Jennifer Parks, Windy City Habitat for Humanity, said.
Plumbing, electrical work and certain other trades will be handled by professionals, but volunteers will help build the homes over the next three years -- even those with no construction experience.
"I've been looking for opportunities to give back and I'm trying to find out what to do with my life so I'm trying to do all the things that I think are good," said Peter, volunteer.
In the meantime, Habitat for Humanity is recruiting families who want to call these houses their homes.
"It is a home ownership program. The big difference with us is we don't charge interest," Park said. "The goal is to get folks into an affordable house that they can own and take pride in."
Habitat for Humanity is planning a homeowners resource fair at the Ray And Joan Kroc Salvation Army in April. To volunteer or apply to be one of the homeowners, visit windycityhabitat.org.
local, ron magers
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 49 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos