Woman shot to death, van crashes on LSD at I-55
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Emergency crews responded to calls of a woman fatally shot at the southbound Lake Shore Drive ramp to the Stevenson early Friday morning.
The ramp that winds around McCormick Place was closed during morning rush hour while authorities conducted an investigation. It was unknown when it would reopen.
Responding to a call of a car crash around 4:20 a.m., police found a 32-year-old Michelle Smith shot inside a van in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near I-55. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say 10-14 bullets were fired into the vehicle from a full-sized brown van that pulled alongside the victim's vehicle. Police are talking to an unarmed female passenger who was in the van.A 37-year-old passenger was taken into custody and interviewed by police.
Authorities said that this was a drug and gang related incident and while the shooter or shooters remain at large, the public is not in danger.
Smith's car was registered to a boarded up home in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, where the bridge across the street marks a significant boundary between gangs.
Smith had a relationship with a high-ranking gang member, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said on WLS AM's Roe and Roeper Show.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ravi baichwal
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...