House explodes in Morris; no injuries
February 5, 2013 (MORRIS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Fire crews responded to the scene of a house explosion in southwest suburban Morris Tuesday morning.
The people who live in the Grundy County home in the 5800-block of Barrington Road were reportedly out of town, and there were no reports of injuries.
Still, the visible damage was significant.
The local fire chief says crews were called to scene at 3:30 a.m. As of 6 a.m., the house was reportedly leveled and fully engulfed.
No damage to the neighboring homes was reported. There was no word on a possible cause.
"An explosion woke me up, one of the sit-up-in-bed types of noises. The dogs were quite upset, and they started barking. I looked out my back window, and I could see a red reflection of my trees," said Donna Henningsen.
Relatives of the homeowners were here looking in disbelief. They say the small community of Morris is coming together, and there has been an outpouring of support.
"It is very lucky. The amount of fire we have had here, we would have had a lot of problems. It would have been very difficult to make a rescue in the house. It is lucky that no one was home and lucky that both houses on each side have suffered no damage whatsoever," said Morris Fire Chief Tracey Steffes.
"Thankful they were not home, but it is still a loss with all their children's memories in here. That is bad to see that though," said Henningsen.
The state fire marshal's office is also investigating the explosion.
local, jason knowles
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 2 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
2 min ago