House explodes in Morris; no injuries
February 5, 2013 (MORRIS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Fire crews responded to the scene of a house explosion in southwest suburban Morris Tuesday morning.
The people who live in the Grundy County home in the 5800-block of Barrington Road were reportedly out of town, and there were no reports of injuries.
Still, the visible damage was significant.
The local fire chief says crews were called to scene at 3:30 a.m. As of 6 a.m., the house was reportedly leveled and fully engulfed.
No damage to the neighboring homes was reported. There was no word on a possible cause.
"An explosion woke me up, one of the sit-up-in-bed types of noises. The dogs were quite upset, and they started barking. I looked out my back window, and I could see a red reflection of my trees," said Donna Henningsen.
Relatives of the homeowners were here looking in disbelief. They say the small community of Morris is coming together, and there has been an outpouring of support.
"It is very lucky. The amount of fire we have had here, we would have had a lot of problems. It would have been very difficult to make a rescue in the house. It is lucky that no one was home and lucky that both houses on each side have suffered no damage whatsoever," said Morris Fire Chief Tracey Steffes.
"Thankful they were not home, but it is still a loss with all their children's memories in here. That is bad to see that though," said Henningsen.
The state fire marshal's office is also investigating the explosion.
local, jason knowles
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits