House explodes in Morris; no injuries
February 5, 2013 (MORRIS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Fire crews responded to the scene of a house explosion in southwest suburban Morris Tuesday morning.
The people who live in the Grundy County home in the 5800-block of Barrington Road were reportedly out of town, and there were no reports of injuries.
Still, the visible damage was significant.
The local fire chief says crews were called to scene at 3:30 a.m. As of 6 a.m., the house was reportedly leveled and fully engulfed.
No damage to the neighboring homes was reported. There was no word on a possible cause.
"An explosion woke me up, one of the sit-up-in-bed types of noises. The dogs were quite upset, and they started barking. I looked out my back window, and I could see a red reflection of my trees," said Donna Henningsen.
Relatives of the homeowners were here looking in disbelief. They say the small community of Morris is coming together, and there has been an outpouring of support.
"It is very lucky. The amount of fire we have had here, we would have had a lot of problems. It would have been very difficult to make a rescue in the house. It is lucky that no one was home and lucky that both houses on each side have suffered no damage whatsoever," said Morris Fire Chief Tracey Steffes.
"Thankful they were not home, but it is still a loss with all their children's memories in here. That is bad to see that though," said Henningsen.
The state fire marshal's office is also investigating the explosion.
local, jason knowles
- CPS school closures begin
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Officials recover body from Lake Michigan near Oakwood 42 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday 36 min ago
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- 7 in :77
49 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos