Two local communities rank among nation's safest
HOUSTON -- Congressional Quarterly just released its annual safest cities list and two of the top 50 are right here in our area.
Sugar Land and Pearland both were named as two of the safest cities to live in. Allen, Frisco, and Round Rock were other Texas cities in the top 50.
When you look at just large cities, meaning places with 500,000 or more people, three Texas cities made the cut. El Paso was named the safest large city in America. Austin was fourth and San Antonio was tenth.
Flip the table and it's bad news for Houston. The Bayou City was ranked tenth when it came to the highest crime rate in the United States. Houston led the nation in the number of burglaries in 2011.
However, Houston's still a lot safer than a few other big cities. Detroit was number one when it came to crime, followed by Baltimore, Memphis, Philly, and Washington DC.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
sugar land, pearland, local
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD