Chicago Weather: Wintry conditions make for rough evening commute
February 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A winter storm moving through the Chicago area Thursday made the evening commute slick and slow-going.
The day began with rain and sleet. By late afternoon, most of the precipitation had turned to snow.
About 2 to 4 inches of snow were expected to fall in the city with up to 9 inches possible in the north suburbs. The wet, slushy snowfall made for treacherous travel Thursday night.
But, on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, people did their best to ignore the elements.
"It's disgusting, I hate it, but I've lived here my whole life, and I never get used to it, but I won't go to Florida," said Felice Anderson.
The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation Snow Command has deployed 199 plows throughout the city and Lake Shore Drive.
Chicago's Streets and Sanitation Commissioner Charles Williams said crews will monitor the main streets throughout the night and get to the side streets if they can.
By mid-afternoon, traffic was solid on both sides of the Kennedy, a measure of how seriously people were taking the threat of snow.
Back on a relatively quiet Michigan Avenue, the weather had some thinking big thoughts
"Global warming is taking a toll," said Amin Smith.
Others were longing for home
"I just feel like I'm in England," said British tourist Lizzie Saunders.
To follow the Streets and San fleet in real time, visit www.chicagoshovels.org.
Motorists are encouraged to be cautious on the road.
local, ravi baichwal
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD