Chicago Weather: Wintry conditions make for rough evening commute
February 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A winter storm moving through the Chicago area Thursday made the evening commute slick and slow-going.
The day began with rain and sleet. By late afternoon, most of the precipitation had turned to snow.
About 2 to 4 inches of snow were expected to fall in the city with up to 9 inches possible in the north suburbs. The wet, slushy snowfall made for treacherous travel Thursday night.
But, on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, people did their best to ignore the elements.
"It's disgusting, I hate it, but I've lived here my whole life, and I never get used to it, but I won't go to Florida," said Felice Anderson.
The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation Snow Command has deployed 199 plows throughout the city and Lake Shore Drive.
Chicago's Streets and Sanitation Commissioner Charles Williams said crews will monitor the main streets throughout the night and get to the side streets if they can.
By mid-afternoon, traffic was solid on both sides of the Kennedy, a measure of how seriously people were taking the threat of snow.
Back on a relatively quiet Michigan Avenue, the weather had some thinking big thoughts
"Global warming is taking a toll," said Amin Smith.
Others were longing for home
"I just feel like I'm in England," said British tourist Lizzie Saunders.
To follow the Streets and San fleet in real time, visit www.chicagoshovels.org.
Motorists are encouraged to be cautious on the road.
local, ravi baichwal
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan 54 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string 47 min ago
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
- AAPL shareholders to see Apple stock split
- ABC7 to Go
52 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
21 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square...
50 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos