Chicago Weather: Wintry conditions make for rough evening commute
February 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A winter storm moving through the Chicago area Thursday made the evening commute slick and slow-going.
The day began with rain and sleet. By late afternoon, most of the precipitation had turned to snow.
About 2 to 4 inches of snow were expected to fall in the city with up to 9 inches possible in the north suburbs. The wet, slushy snowfall made for treacherous travel Thursday night.
But, on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, people did their best to ignore the elements.
"It's disgusting, I hate it, but I've lived here my whole life, and I never get used to it, but I won't go to Florida," said Felice Anderson.
The Chicago Department of Streets and Sanitation Snow Command has deployed 199 plows throughout the city and Lake Shore Drive.
Chicago's Streets and Sanitation Commissioner Charles Williams said crews will monitor the main streets throughout the night and get to the side streets if they can.
By mid-afternoon, traffic was solid on both sides of the Kennedy, a measure of how seriously people were taking the threat of snow.
Back on a relatively quiet Michigan Avenue, the weather had some thinking big thoughts
"Global warming is taking a toll," said Amin Smith.
Others were longing for home
"I just feel like I'm in England," said British tourist Lizzie Saunders.
To follow the Streets and San fleet in real time, visit www.chicagoshovels.org.
Motorists are encouraged to be cautious on the road.
local, ravi baichwal
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All