Mayor: Gun offenders should serve 85 percent of sentence
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Monday that all gun offenders should serve 85 percent of their sentence.
He said it's too easy for offenders to get out early. Truth in sentencing is "Not allowing those individuals back on the streets to become either victims or perpetrators again," Mayor Emanuel said.
He believes the stricter sentencing enforcement would act as a deterrent to criminals.
"You have to hit all the keys on the keyboard. It's not just policing, it's not just summer jobs, it's not just criminal background checks. . . it's all of that and more."
The mayor also wants to increase penalties for gun crimes.
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 3 dolphins pregnant at Brookfield Zoo
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison 24 min ago
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 29 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos