Mayor: Gun offenders should serve 85 percent of sentence
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Monday that all gun offenders should serve 85 percent of their sentence.
He said it's too easy for offenders to get out early. Truth in sentencing is "Not allowing those individuals back on the streets to become either victims or perpetrators again," Mayor Emanuel said.
He believes the stricter sentencing enforcement would act as a deterrent to criminals.
"You have to hit all the keys on the keyboard. It's not just policing, it's not just summer jobs, it's not just criminal background checks. . . it's all of that and more."
The mayor also wants to increase penalties for gun crimes.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 1 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 59 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 4 min ago
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics 14 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos