NJ teachers, principal plead guilty in student sex case
CAMDEN, N.J. - February 11, 2013 -- Three people learned their punishment today in connection with a sex scandal that rocked a South Jersey high school.
Triton High School teachers Jeff Logandro and Dan Michielli, along with high school principal Catherine DePaul, signed onto a plea deal. It's a plea package that could prevent all three from ever stepping foot in a prison.
Logandro was the first to plead guilty to third degree official misconduct for having an inappropriate relationship with a student at the school during the 2011 to 2012 school year. Fellow former Triton teacher Dan Michielli pleaded guilty to the same offense. As part of the plea deal, both men must serve 30 days either in a Camden County correctional facility or through a correctional program like house arrest.
Through her attorney, former Triton High School Principal Catherine DePaul made brief remarks of regret after pleading guilty to a disorderly persons offense for failing to immediately report known child sex abuse within her high school. DePaul faces one year probation.
Some may think that these three school officials received light sentences. Camden County prosecutor Warren Faulk says the courts are satisfied.
"I think we've accomplished our purpose and we have discussed this with the victim's and their families," Faulk said. "Our purpose is to see that they do not hold public office in the future, that they are not teachers in our public school system."
The third teacher charged in this child sex abuse scandal, Nick Martinelli, was not in court on Monday. His case, as well as that of an administrator, are moving closer to trial.
new jersey, 6at4, child sex assault, education, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 13 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing 43 min ago
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp 34 min ago
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery 21 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 34 min ago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Ready For Spring Planting
15 min ago
- Daily Herald: Aspiring Park Ranger
18 min ago
- UCP Seguin 1 year after merger
58 min ago