Family of Eddy Curry's ex thankful for murder conviction
February 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Tuesday night, 40-year-old attorney Fredrick Goings was convicted of murdering 24-year-old Nova Henry and her 10-month-old daughter, Ava.
Henry's family said Wednesday morning that, with Goings' conviction, it feels like a weight has been lifted off their shoulders. They said they always knew Goings would be found guilty.
"Nova endured so much pain and suffering at the hands of Fredrick Goings," said Yolan Henry, Nova Henry' s mother. "Now that this murderer will thankfully spend the rest of his life in the custody of the state penal system, he will never have the opportunity to take another life as he did Nova's and Ava's."
It took the jury less than four hours to convict Goings of the 2009 shooting. He opened fire on Henry in her South Loop condo while she held her daughter and ran from the bullets.
Henry's 3-year-old son, Noah, with former Chicago Bulls player Eddy Curry was also in the condo but unharmed.
Goings and Henry were romantically involved after he represented her in a paternity case with Curry, but prosecutors say their relationship took a nasty turn when Henry hired a new lawyer and planned to contest his legal fees.
"Domestic violence was the route of this evil act committed by Fredrick Goings," said Yolan Henry. "No one should live in fear of their life, ever. Nova was afraid. Nova was afraid for her life and her family's lives, so if we you know someone, or if it is you that is involved in a domestic violence situation, listen to that voice that tells you to leave."
During the trial, attorneys for Goings maintained his innocence and argued that no physical evidence linked him to the murders.
Goings faces natural life in prison. His sentencing date is set for March 11.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...