Off-duty police officer killed after SUV flips on Skyway
February 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A well-respected Chicago police officer died in a car crash on the Chicago Skyway just as she was about to celebrate a promotion.
The accident happened shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday night. Police say off duty police officer Shaunda Bond was driving on the Skyway near 81st Street when the SUV she was in hit a concrete barrier and rolled over.
"Quite a tragedy," said neighbor Art Sims. "I am devastated. I just cannot believe it. Shaunda is just a great young lady. Socially involved in the community, very quiet, to herself. Everybody in the building loved her. I just, i just cannot believe this. This is quite a tragedy."
Neighbors say the 31-year old cop, who lived in the Bronzeville neighborhood, was full of life and dedicated to helping others.
"I used to think she looked so young, like, oh my goodness, I cannot believe you're a police officer, and yes, she was," said Sims.
A police officer at Chicago's 4th District since 2009, Bond was reportedly on her way to celebrate her recent promotion when the accident happened.
She was to be assigned a spot on one of the district's tactical units.
Officer Bond also had a passion for travel. She was to leave on a two-week vacation to Thailand on Sunday.
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913