Off-duty police officer killed after SUV flips on Skyway
February 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A well-respected Chicago police officer died in a car crash on the Chicago Skyway just as she was about to celebrate a promotion.
The accident happened shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday night. Police say off duty police officer Shaunda Bond was driving on the Skyway near 81st Street when the SUV she was in hit a concrete barrier and rolled over.
"Quite a tragedy," said neighbor Art Sims. "I am devastated. I just cannot believe it. Shaunda is just a great young lady. Socially involved in the community, very quiet, to herself. Everybody in the building loved her. I just, i just cannot believe this. This is quite a tragedy."
Neighbors say the 31-year old cop, who lived in the Bronzeville neighborhood, was full of life and dedicated to helping others.
"I used to think she looked so young, like, oh my goodness, I cannot believe you're a police officer, and yes, she was," said Sims.
A police officer at Chicago's 4th District since 2009, Bond was reportedly on her way to celebrate her recent promotion when the accident happened.
She was to be assigned a spot on one of the district's tactical units.
Officer Bond also had a passion for travel. She was to leave on a two-week vacation to Thailand on Sunday.
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 32 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Carly Rousso trial set to begin in May 8 min ago
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice 32 min ago
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice 45 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
32 min ago