Off-duty police officer killed after SUV flips on Skyway
February 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A well-respected Chicago police officer died in a car crash on the Chicago Skyway just as she was about to celebrate a promotion.
The accident happened shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday night. Police say off duty police officer Shaunda Bond was driving on the Skyway near 81st Street when the SUV she was in hit a concrete barrier and rolled over.
"Quite a tragedy," said neighbor Art Sims. "I am devastated. I just cannot believe it. Shaunda is just a great young lady. Socially involved in the community, very quiet, to herself. Everybody in the building loved her. I just, i just cannot believe this. This is quite a tragedy."
Neighbors say the 31-year old cop, who lived in the Bronzeville neighborhood, was full of life and dedicated to helping others.
"I used to think she looked so young, like, oh my goodness, I cannot believe you're a police officer, and yes, she was," said Sims.
A police officer at Chicago's 4th District since 2009, Bond was reportedly on her way to celebrate her recent promotion when the accident happened.
She was to be assigned a spot on one of the district's tactical units.
Officer Bond also had a passion for travel. She was to leave on a two-week vacation to Thailand on Sunday.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains