Off-duty police officer killed after SUV flips on Skyway
February 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A well-respected Chicago police officer died in a car crash on the Chicago Skyway just as she was about to celebrate a promotion.
The accident happened shortly after 10:30 p.m. Friday night. Police say off duty police officer Shaunda Bond was driving on the Skyway near 81st Street when the SUV she was in hit a concrete barrier and rolled over.
"Quite a tragedy," said neighbor Art Sims. "I am devastated. I just cannot believe it. Shaunda is just a great young lady. Socially involved in the community, very quiet, to herself. Everybody in the building loved her. I just, i just cannot believe this. This is quite a tragedy."
Neighbors say the 31-year old cop, who lived in the Bronzeville neighborhood, was full of life and dedicated to helping others.
"I used to think she looked so young, like, oh my goodness, I cannot believe you're a police officer, and yes, she was," said Sims.
A police officer at Chicago's 4th District since 2009, Bond was reportedly on her way to celebrate her recent promotion when the accident happened.
She was to be assigned a spot on one of the district's tactical units.
Officer Bond also had a passion for travel. She was to leave on a two-week vacation to Thailand on Sunday.
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 31 min ago
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings 34 min ago
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 4 min ago
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward 56 min ago
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run 50 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos