Local Chinese celebrate Lunar New Year
February 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chinese Lunar New Year Parade was held Sunday in Chinatown.
Among some of the traditions that are celebrated during the Chinese New Year are praying to the gods and ancestors to thank them for safety in the previous year and giving money in red envelopes to children to wish them luck in the coming year.
2013 is the year of the water snake on the Chinese calendar.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus 29 min ago