Local Chinese celebrate Lunar New Year
February 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chinese Lunar New Year Parade was held Sunday in Chinatown.
Among some of the traditions that are celebrated during the Chinese New Year are praying to the gods and ancestors to thank them for safety in the previous year and giving money in red envelopes to children to wish them luck in the coming year.
2013 is the year of the water snake on the Chinese calendar.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25...
33 min ago