Supreme Court denies ex-Gov. George Ryan's appeal
February 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Former Gov. George Ryan's appeal to have his corruption case re-heard was denied Tuesday morning by the U.S. Supreme Court.
The court issued the decision on an orders list dated 2/19/2013.
The appeal was filed after Ryan was convicted in 2006 of federal corruption charges in the license for bribes scandal through the secretary of state's office. He was appealing his conviction and prison sentence for racketeering, fraud and other crimes involving kickbacks for state contracts and property leases.
Ryan filed a variety of legal challenges, including allegations that prosecutors failed to prove he'd taken bribes.
His attorney, former Illinois Gov. Jim Thompson, said Ryan understands and accepts the decision.
"The district court has now spoken twice. The court of appeals has spoken twice. The Supreme Court has spoken. That is the end of it. We have come to the end of the road in the Ryan litigation," Thompson said.
After spending five years in prison, Ryan was released on home confinement on January 30, 2013. He's to spend the next six and a half months at his home in Kankakee.
However, late Sunday afternoon, at an Italian restaurant in Frankfort, the disgraced governor walked in the front door and sat down in what the manager calls "a secluded table." Ryan, seen in a photo with his daughter-in-law, Amy, who made the reservation, dined with son, George Ryan Jr., and two friends.
The terms of Ryan's release were spelled out publicly as confinement for 6-and-a-half months inside his Kankakee home with exceptions for work or church. On Tuesday morning, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons said inmates are granted permission to leave home confinement for a variety of reasons, but they would not confirm if Ryan's trip to the restaurant was approved.
When the I-Team contacted Ryan at home Monday he had no comment.
- Spring-like day followed by snow 13 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial 10 min ago
- Energy deal to save city money, but not customers 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 19 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 6 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
26 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
10 min ago
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex...
19 min ago
George Ryan Archives
- 04/07/98: I-Team's investigation leads to Ryan demise
- 12/17/03: Ex. Gov. Ryan indicted on federal charges
- 12/17/03: 6 kids killed in crash that led to license-for-bribes scandal
- 09/29/05: I-Team Report: The Road to Ryan
- 4/17/06: Ryan guilty on all counts
- 9/6/06: Ex. Gov. Ryan gets 6 years in prison
- 11/7/07: Ryan arrives at prison camp
- 12/21/10: Ryan apologizes
- 6/29/11: Ex-Gov. Ryan at Lura Lynn's death bed
- 01/30/13: Ryan leaves prison, on home confinement in Kankakee