USOC: 'Hey, Chicago! Want to bid for Olympics?'
February 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The U.S. Olympic Committee sent a letter to the mayors of 35 American cities Tuesday inquiring if any of them are interested in bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics.
- DOWNLOAD: USOC letter to potential bid cities
The United States has not put forth a bid for a winter or summer Games since Chicago's shocking first round defeat in its bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics under former Mayor Richard Daley. Nonetheless, Chicago along with San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles are still considered potential top US contenders.
A spokesperson for Mayor Rahm Emanuel tells ABC 7 the mayor continues to be opposed to bidding for the Olympics.
Since Chicago's defeat, the US Olympic Committee has overhauled its leadership structure, international relations efforts and bidding process. Those close to the Olympic movement viewed Chicago's loss as a referendum on the USOC's poor standing among International Olympic Committee members at the time and not necessarily a harsh critique of Chicago's plan.
The US Olympic Committee cautioned today's letter is not a sign that America will definitely put forth a 2024 American bid city. "We would like to begin having discussions with interested cities about possible bid themes as well as the infrastructure, financial resources and other assets that are required to host the Games," USOC CEO Scott Blackmun wrote in his letter.
local, ben bradley
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 27 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 13 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster 12 min ago
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
13 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
49 min ago
- Festival Fridays
52 min ago