Loved ones mourn deaths of 2 women stabbed before fire
February 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Family and friends mourned the deaths of two women who were found stabbed in a burning home in Chicago's Chatham neighborhood.
The deaths of Curtria Duncan, 24, and Sherry Adams, 42, have been classified as homicides. Their bodies were found inside a bathroom when firefighters arrived to put out the fire in their home at 81st and Maryland. The fire occured around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday.
The women had been stabbed multiple times before they were burned, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.
The victims' friends said they are heartbroken by this crime.
"I broke down crying," friend Debra Oatis said.
Friends said they can't understand who would stab two women and then set them on fire.
"They're not trying to fight anybody," Adams' stepdaughter Alisha Pinex said. "Who would want to do something to them?"
Adams was Duncan's mother, according to friends who said the two lived together in the apartment with Duncan's young son, who was not home at the time of the fire.
The boy, 3, is now staying with relatives.
Duncan was a radiology student at Kennedy-King College and Adams was a self-employed beautician, according to friends.
Duncan was a high achiever, according to school officials.
"She was a very intelligent," Oatis said. "And she was doing good."
Oatis described Adams as a generous, kind person.
"If people didn't have money to get their hair and makeup done, she would still do it and let them pay later," Oatis said.
The Chicago Police Department are investigating the case as a double homicide and arson. Autopsies are scheduled for the two victims Thursday.
No one is in custody in for the crime.
Neighbors hope the security cameras next door will help police find the killer.
"I feel very sad. I'm so sad that this had to happen," neighbor Jacqueline Mason said. "I hope that they seek justice."
local, eric horng
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party