Drew Peterson sent to Pontiac day after 38-year prison sentence handed down
February 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Drew Peterson was sentenced Thursday to 38 years for murdering one of his wives. Friday, Will County quickly sent the former Bolingbrook police officer to state prison.
Drew Peterson will spend his first night of captivity in a state prison at the Pontiac Correctional Center. It is a place known to inmates as the "Thunderdome," because it is loud, incredibly loud. Built in 1871, the place is so loud that many prisoners are on sensory overload until they can get adjusted.
After being shipped out of Bolingbrook Friday morning, Peterson made a pit stop first, at the Stateville prison near southwest suburban Crest Hill. There is a new state inmate processing center there that Peterson was walked through.
Then it was on to Pontiac, which may end up as Peterson's permanent home, at least for the first few years of his 38-year sentence.
Unlike Thursday in court, when Peterson went on a 45-minute rant about how he didn't murder his third wife Kathleen Savio -- and everyone had to listen -- there won't be captive am audience at Pontiac. Peterson is expected to be in solitary confinement at the Thunderdome, in the maximum-security unit; segregation with limited privileges.
The estimated cost to feed, water and house the wife killer: Almost $32,000 a year. If he survives his entire sentence, the full-term cost would be more than $1.2 million.
Illinois taxpayers pick up the check for Peterson's confinement, and there will be additional costs to the state to fight Peterson's expected appeal, and all of the costs associated with the next case against him that Will County prosecutors expect to bring.
local, chuck goudie
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 3 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 54 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 17 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 15 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 1 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 30 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
3 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
30 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
54 min ago
Drew Peterson Archives
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos