Drew Peterson sent to Pontiac day after 38-year prison sentence handed down
February 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Drew Peterson was sentenced Thursday to 38 years for murdering one of his wives. Friday, Will County quickly sent the former Bolingbrook police officer to state prison.
Drew Peterson will spend his first night of captivity in a state prison at the Pontiac Correctional Center. It is a place known to inmates as the "Thunderdome," because it is loud, incredibly loud. Built in 1871, the place is so loud that many prisoners are on sensory overload until they can get adjusted.
After being shipped out of Bolingbrook Friday morning, Peterson made a pit stop first, at the Stateville prison near southwest suburban Crest Hill. There is a new state inmate processing center there that Peterson was walked through.
Then it was on to Pontiac, which may end up as Peterson's permanent home, at least for the first few years of his 38-year sentence.
Unlike Thursday in court, when Peterson went on a 45-minute rant about how he didn't murder his third wife Kathleen Savio -- and everyone had to listen -- there won't be captive am audience at Pontiac. Peterson is expected to be in solitary confinement at the Thunderdome, in the maximum-security unit; segregation with limited privileges.
The estimated cost to feed, water and house the wife killer: Almost $32,000 a year. If he survives his entire sentence, the full-term cost would be more than $1.2 million.
Illinois taxpayers pick up the check for Peterson's confinement, and there will be additional costs to the state to fight Peterson's expected appeal, and all of the costs associated with the next case against him that Will County prosecutors expect to bring.
local, chuck goudie
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 4 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 6 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All