Bucktown sex assault: Woman attacked in home; teen charged
February 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police charged 16-year-old Marcos Cervantes Monday in connection with a sex assault in the Bucktown neighborhood.
A 43-year-old woman was attacked inside her home in the 2100-block of West Moffat over the weekend.
Police say the incident happened Sunday at approximately 1:15 p.m.
According to authorities, the victim saw Cervantes walking up her back stairs. When she opened the door to confront him, the teenager threatened her with a paintball gun, forced his way inside and sexually assaulted her, according to prosecutors.
The suspect then kidnapped the woman, taking off with her in her own car, according to investigators. He also allegedly stole her cell phone.
Police say they were able to catch up with the suspect by tracking the victim's cell phone signal to Douglas Park, about 1.5 miles away, where the suspect also let the woman go.
Chicago police arrested the teen Sunday.
He faces four felony charges including armed/forced home invasion, aggravated criminal sexual assault , aggravated kidnapping, aggravated vehicular hijacking.
Residents in the Bucktown area were processing the disturbing news Monday.
"I find the entire thing incredibly disturbing. I live one house away, and to think that right here in this neighborhood, something so violent could happen," said Maura Daly. "I was sitting my living room when this happened. I just felt completely helpless and very upset."
The woman was being treated at a hospital Monday.
Daly and other residents on the block said they knew her.
"She's a really nice lady...It's frightening to see this happening," said Richard Wallace of the Bucktown Community Organization.
Even though a suspect was captured, community leaders said they were warning residents about the incident.
" Everyody's radar is up right now. I've been getting calls all morning with people asking what can they do to stay safe. I say, alarms, big dogs, don't open your door to people you don't know. Do what you can to protect the perimeter of your house," said Bucktown Community Organization President Steve Jensen.
A judge denied bail for Cervantes in bond court Monday. He will be tried as an adult.
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 9 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Toddler reported missing on South Side 31 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court 3 min ago
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
31 min ago
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour...
9 min ago