Firefighters hurt as burning South Side porch collapses
February 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two Chicago firefighters were transported to the hospital Tuesday after they became trapped while battling a blaze at 88th Street and Parnell.
The fire started at approximately 4 a.m. ABC7 Chicago is told the roof of the second floor porch collapsed on the firefighters, pushing them through the floor and trapping them in the basement.
They were pulled to safety through a side window.
The firefighters were taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in southwest suburban Oak Lawn, Ill., in stable condition. They were being treated for leg and back injuries but were expected to be OK.
"They were both taken to the hospital with minor injuries. It could have been a lot worse. Had we had fire in that basement, things could have been a much different story here," said Chicago Fire Department Deputy Commissioner John McNicholas.
As the fire burned the empty home, it also spread to another home where a family lives. Those residents, two adults and four children, were OK Tuesday but were displaced.
"It was like the whole house just -- windows with fire coming out of it -- and I heard the whistles. I know the whistle means people are injured," said witness Erica Lee.
Although the fire appeared to be extinguished by 5 a.m., it rekindled later Tuesday morning. Several fire trucks remained on the scene hours after the fire started.
Firefighters said squatters might have ignited the blaze, but no official cause of the fire was determined immediately.
local, jason knowles
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship