Chicago murder rate improving? 14 murders in February 2013
March 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago murder rates were cut in half for the month of February when compared to the same month in 2012.
"There is a lot of credit to go out. The fact is it is one month. That's progress, it is not victory in any way shape or form- but it is not failure," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. Fourteen murders were recorded in February 2013, compared to 28 murders in February 2012. Supt. McCarthy isn't attributing the encouraging stats to any one thing.
"It has to do with our strategies, it has to do with our deployment it has to do with our over- time. It has to do with quality of life, enforcement. One of the things that I say constantly is the fact that it is not one thing we do it is everything we do," Supt. McCarthy said.
February's 14 murders were the fewest in Chicago for a month since 1957.
In recent months, Chicago has become the focus of the national gun violence debate. In the month of January, the city counted 43 murders; making it the bloodiest January in a decade.
In January, a visit from the president highlighted the issue after 15-year-old honor roll student Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed on the South Side. Her father says the numbers are promising, but he's not getting his hopes up.
Some experts believe that President Obama's visit to Chicago to address violence may have helped lower the murder rate significantly in February.
Having the president and first lady here talking about violence brought the issue to a higher level of discourse than there's ever been in the city," Loyola University Chicago Professor Arthur Lurigio said.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 14 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 30 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 15 min ago
- Bank robbery suspect tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 5 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Bubonic plague claims 32 lives in Madagascar 14 min ago
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
30 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
14 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos