Firefighter Patrick Bruce, 45, charged in Tinley Park crash that killed Anais Knox, 25, of Downers Grove
March 4, 2013 (TINLEY PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Bond was set at $250,000 for Patrick Bruce, 45, who is charged with speeding and driving recklessly in a crash that killed Anais Knox.
Police say Bruce, who works as a full-time firefighter in Orland and part-time firefighter in Crestwood, struck two vehicles near 167th Street and Lockwood Avenue in Tinley Park just before 2 p.m. Friday.
Knox, 25, of Downers Grove, was killed. She and her stepfather were on their way to buy a car with her tax refund when their vehicle was struck by Bruce's Lincoln Navigator. Knox died a short time later.
"It just shot straight into our car," Eric Hopper, stepfather, said. Knox's family was in court for Bruce's bond hearing.
Bruce is charged with reckless homicide, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and reckless driving. His attorney left court without comment Monday afternoon.
Investigators say Bruce admitted to taking prescription pain medication before the accident. He's been on duty injury leave for eight months because of a shoulder injury.
Orland Fire Protection Chief Brucki released a statement, that read in part: Our condolences go out to the family of the victim. The accident investigation is in the capable hands of police. . . We cannot comment further."
Knox, whose family and friends called her Ana, was taking online college courses and wanted a career in human resources.
"Her personality was so bright," Candice Savage, cousin, said.
"She was innocent. She didn't do anything wrong," Tenika Knox-Johnson, victim's sister, said.
- Boy Scouts to lift ban on openly gay scouts 5 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney 37 min ago
- Antwone Price's body found in West Englewood car 18 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015 9 min ago
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son 15 min ago
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students 25 min ago
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without authorization
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- Penny Pritzker questioned at Senate confirmation hearing 22 min ago
- Woman injured in Chicago Skyway crash 16 min ago
- Police: Drive safely, buckle up on holiday weekend
- Census bureau finds Chicago is growing, but slowly
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave 20 min ago
- Penny Pritzker questioned at Senate...
22 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
37 min ago
- Antwone Price's body found in West...
18 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos