Mother claims teacher taped son's mouth shut, files suit
March 4, 2013 (BROADVIEW, Ill.) (WLS) -- The mother of an 11-year old boy is suing a west suburban school district after she claims her son had his mouth taped shut by a teacher.
Sarah Hicks allegedly punished the boy at Lindop Elementary School in Broadview in February 2012.
She has been charged in connection with the incident.
The suit says Hicks singled him out for talking and sealed his mouth with industrial grade tape.
The boy's mother, Princess Dempsey, says the tape was removed after he started crying, and she says it left welts on his face and tore out hair from his head.
"The mother said he is not the same child anymore," said Standish Willis, attorney for the Dempsey family. "He is not as outgoing; he used to talk about being an entertainer one day -- singing; she says he doesn't talk about that anymore."
Hicks is charged with battery.
School district lawyers say she has been on administrative leave without pay since the incident.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 17 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
17 min ago