Heavy, wet snow blankets Chicago, suburbs
March 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Most of the Chicago area will see between 5 and 9 inches of snow by the end of the winter storm.
- ABC7 Weather Home
- School Closings
- Street-Level Interactive Radar
- Severe Weather: Watches, Warnings
- ABC7's Flight Tracker
"The winter storm warning is in effect until midnight across the area," ABC7 Meteorologist Jerry Taft said.
The snow started falling Tuesday morning, and continued throughout the day, making for a messy afternoon rush hour.
"Five inches on the ground in a lot of places, up to 10 inches in some spots," Taft said. "Some of the heaviest snow [is] in DuPage and Cook County, stretching over into portions of Indiana."
Most of the Chicago area will get between 5 and 9 inches of snow. It's the snowiest day of the season.
"[It is really dense, great for a snowball fight, maybe, but not the snow you want to be shoveling," Taft said.
High wind speeds made for low visibility. Before noon Tuesday, airlines had already canceled more than 1,000 flights at Midway and O'Hare airports.
Chicago and suburban municipalities have their snow-removal plows and trucks out on the streets.
"We are prepared as a city to deal with this snow," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said at an OEMC news conference.
The snow will taper off Tuesday around 9 p.m.
local, jerry taft
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 12 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 32 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 2 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 10 min ago
- CTA eyes Red Line extension proposals 5 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 46 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos