Heavy, wet snow blankets Chicago, suburbs
March 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Most of the Chicago area will see between 5 and 9 inches of snow by the end of the winter storm.
- ABC7 Weather Home
- School Closings
- Street-Level Interactive Radar
- Severe Weather: Watches, Warnings
- ABC7's Flight Tracker
"The winter storm warning is in effect until midnight across the area," ABC7 Meteorologist Jerry Taft said.
The snow started falling Tuesday morning, and continued throughout the day, making for a messy afternoon rush hour.
"Five inches on the ground in a lot of places, up to 10 inches in some spots," Taft said. "Some of the heaviest snow [is] in DuPage and Cook County, stretching over into portions of Indiana."
Most of the Chicago area will get between 5 and 9 inches of snow. It's the snowiest day of the season.
"[It is really dense, great for a snowball fight, maybe, but not the snow you want to be shoveling," Taft said.
High wind speeds made for low visibility. Before noon Tuesday, airlines had already canceled more than 1,000 flights at Midway and O'Hare airports.
Chicago and suburban municipalities have their snow-removal plows and trucks out on the streets.
"We are prepared as a city to deal with this snow," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said at an OEMC news conference.
The snow will taper off Tuesday around 9 p.m.
local, jerry taft
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 7 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 7 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin 41 min ago
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 1 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
9 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
7 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
7 min ago